Animal Control
Why should I buy a pet license?

Not only is it the law in Mill Creek, there are also advantages for you and your pet. Lost cats and dogs are often identified by a license and returned to owners by officers in the field instead of being transported to a shelter. Licensed animals with current information on file are held a minimum of five days at the shelter whereas an unlicensed pet, or one with outdated owner information, is legally held for only 72 hours. Owners of pets wearing a license are notified when their pet is impounded by the shelter.

A $5 license, with up to date contact information on file, is your pet's free ride home.

Does Mill Creek have a leash law?

Yes, Mill Creek has a leash law as described by Municipal Code 6.14.020. The law states that it is unlawful for an owner to allow a dog to run loose. When off the owner's premises, a dog must be leashed and in physical control of a person. If you're having a problem with a stray dog, contact Animal Control.

What if I have been bitten by a dog?

Always call 911 and an animal control or police officer will be dispatched to the scene. Attempt to get as much information about the animal, including details about the animal as well as the owner's name and address.

If a dog is running at large and the owner is not present, please remember which direction the dog is running. This information will help an Animal Control Officer to find and secure the dog.

We will investigate an incident, take a report, statements and photos, contact the dog's owner and, if necessary, place quarantine on the animal for ten days or more.

What do I do if my pet is lost?

Immediately call the police department and report your lost pet. All lost and found pet information is maintained in our computer system and can be used to match up a pet with their owner. Place lost posters in your area and call or visit the Everett Animal Shelter and PAWS. It may also be helpful to call local veterinary hospitals to see if they have been contacted about your pet.

If your pet is found, we will be able to contact you quickly through the pet license tag which is required for all dogs and cats which reside within the city limits. When speaking with Animal Control, please verify that your contact information is correct in our system for this very reason.

Does Mill Creek have a Scoop Law?

Yes, Mill Creek has a Scoop Law as described by Municipal Code 6.14.010. The law requires all persons walking dogs away from their premises to carry a bag of sufficient size to pick up fecal matter deposited by their dog. Owners are responsible for cleaning up after cats who leave fecal matter on neighboring property at well.

What do I do about trespassing cats?

There is not a leash law for cats in Mill Creek. However, it is unlawful for owners to allow cats to trespass onto the private property of another. If you have a problem with stray cats on your property, call Animal Control at the Police Department for advice on the best way to handle the problem.

Does Mill Creek have a Noise Ordinance?

Mill Creek has a noise ordinance which includes barking dogs. If you are bothered by a continual howl or a chronic barker, you should first speak to the dog owner and let him/her know that you are disturbed by the noise. Try to work out a solution in a neighborly manner. If the problem persists, call 911 while the dog is barking so an officer may experience the problem and handle it as necessary.

What do I do if my pet is impounded?

All cats and dogs impounded by the Police Department are taken to PAWS in Lynnwood. You may call their office at 425-787-2500.

All other animals impounded are taken to the Everett Animal Shelter. You may call their office at 425-257-6000.

Building Department
Do I need a building permit to re-roof a single-family home?
Whether a permit is required or not depends upon the scope of the work. If you are replacing roofing material in kind (e.g., shingle to shingle, asphalt to asphalt), then a permit is not needed. If you are replacing the roof sheathing, you will need a permit. You will also need a permit if you are changing roofing material or changing the structure of the roof line in any way. Please note permits are required for the re-roof of multifamily homes and commercial property
Do I need a building permit to build a shed?
Permits are not required for one story detached accessory structures used as storage sheds or playhouses, or similar uses not exceeding 200 square feet with a maximum height of 12 feet to roof peak; however, the structure must comply with setback requirements, which are a minimum of five feet, but could be more.  Please call the Planning Department at 425-551-7254 for the setback requirement for your lot.
Do I need a permit to build a rockery / retaining wall?
Yes, a permit is required for a rockery / retaining wall more than 4 feet in height (measured from the bottom of the lowest rock to the top of the highest rock), or if the rockery/retaining wall is supporting a surcharge (from a slope steeper than 2 horizontal to 1 vertical, or a footing, etc.).
Is a permit required for a deck at my single-family residence?
Yes, if the deck is more than 30 inches high or more than 200 square feet.  Also note that although the Building Department may not require a permit, sometime Zoning regulations may affect the size and location potential of a deck. Always contact the Planning Department at 425-551-7254 before beginning a project. For help with your deck project, please check out the “construction tip sheets” available at: My Building Permit.com
I need to know if I can add onto my house.
First talk to the Planning Department for height restrictions, setbacks from the property lines, and allowable lot coverage. If your project fits within the Code requirements, contact the Building Department for applicable building, plumbing, mechanical, energy, and electrical codes.
Do I need a permit to enclose the carport at my single-family residence?
Yes. Concerns such as protection from decay, and the possibility of additional wind-load created by adding wall surface area are checked during the review of the plans and permit application. Job site inspections take this to the next step by looking for building code conditions that can only be verified during construction.
Can I draw my own plans or do I need to have an architect draw my plans?
For most detached single-family residential projects you may draw your own plans if you have the ability. The main requirements are that the plans accurately convey the scope of the project, include adequate details and dimensions, and all applicable job site conditions are on the plans. It may be necessary to have the property surveyed for property lines, elevations and more, depending on the project.
What scale should my plans be?
1/4 inch = 1 foot is an acceptable scale for plan views, elevations and sectional views. Drawings intended to show more detailed information are commonly scaled at 1/2 or 3/4 inch = 1 foot. Site plans typically are scaled 1:10 and are sized to fit on the submitted sheets, but must not be too small to read easily. Please label all scales used on the plans.
Do I have to hire a contractor or can I build a project myself?

You may do your own construction on the home you own.

Do I need a permit to add or modify an interior wall?

Yes. It's classed as a single-family alteration/remodel or commercial tenant improvement.

Why do I need a thermal expansion tank for my water heater?

Water purveyors are installing backflow prevention devices at the water meters, thereby creating a “closed” system in the waterline. Without an expansion tank, with no place for water to expand as it is heated in your water heater, the over-pressure device activates with each batch of heated water and releases a small amount of water. Frequent use such as this could create a buildup of minerals and/or prematurely wear out the over-pressure device. You cannot remove the over-pressure device because the increase of pressure could burst pipes or create a potentially life-threatening explosion hazard. A thermal expansion tank is installed to take care of the excess pressure while preserving the over-pressure device. You can see a diagram of a properly outfitted water heater by checking out the “construction tip sheets” available at: My Building Permit.com

Is a carbon monoxide detector / alarm required?

Carbon Monoxide Alarms are required for new construction, outside of each separate sleeping area and on each level of the dwelling and in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Carbon Monoxide Alarms are required in existing dwellings when alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created. Some exceptions apply. For more complete information see: Washington Administrative Code

What is the difference between a passport book and a passport card?

The passport book has not changed—it allows you to travel by air, land or sea all around the world. The passport card is for land and sea travel only, between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

What is considered evidence of U.S. citizenship?

Proof of US citizenship can be a state-certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate, or previous passport that has been expired for more than five years. The document you provide WILL BE MAILED with your application form to the US Passport Office. Hospital birth certificates will NOT be accepted.

What can I use for proof of Identity?

A Driver's License or State ID.

How long does it take to get a passport?

Passport services is committed to the issuance of your passport within 4-6 weeks—when all the proper documentation is provided. Passport applications can be expedited for an additional fee. Expedited passports take 1-3 weeks.

*If you are leaving in less than 14 days and have proof of travel, you may contact the Seattle Passport Agency Appointment Line at 1-877-487-2778 and get your passport even sooner.

Where can I get passport information and passport forms?

As well as visiting the Mill Creek Passport Acceptance Facility, you may get information online
Download forms

What if I have had a name change?

If your passport was issued less than one year ago, use form DS-5504 and mail it in with a new photo and certified proof of the change.

If your passport was issued more than one year ago, use form DS-82: Renewal By Mail. You will need a new photo, certified evidence of the data change and a check.

How do I register for a class online?
Go online to www.cityofmillcreek.com/register to create an online account for you /your family. All Online registrations are subject to a non-refundable convenience fee. This fee is collected to offset the costs of providing this service. Customers must be 13 years or older in order to request an online account. In order to establish an account for a child you should first create an account for an adult. Any questions please call 425-551-7254 and leave a message and calls will be returned within 24 hours Monday thru Friday.
I forgot my password to the online registration system. What do I do?
Visit the registration website at: www.cityofmillcreek.com/register. Select Sign In, then select the Forgot Password link. You will be prompted to enter your email address and then click Submit. The reset password request will be sent to you with a temporary password to use to log into your account. Then you will be prompted to enter a New Password, verify Password, then Submit. If you need further assistance, please email or call 425-551-7254. Forgot Password
How do I reserve a meeting room or sports field?
To reserve an indoor/outdoor facility, please call (425) 551-7254 or email: [email protected] and ask to speak with the Recreation staff. Rental fee and deposit are due at the time of reservation.
Can I register for a class if I am not a Mill Creek resident?
Yes. Everyone can register online at cityofmillcreek.com/register.
How do waitlists work? How will I be notified if my child is added to the class?
If the class/program you want to register for is full, you may add your name to the waitlist at www.cityofmillcreek.com/register. You will be called as openings become available at which time payment will be collected.
What if I want to join a class that has already started?
Once an activity has started, you may be able to register for the class if there is room in the class and the instructor has given permission. Call the Recreation Department at 425-551-7254 to check on late enrollment possibilities or further information. Please note: classes may not be prorated, depending on the class.
Do you offer sibling discounts?
Yes, we offer sibling discounts for the Youth Basketball League when registering 3 or more children in the Youth Basketball League. The 3rd child will receive $50 off their registration fee. Please call 425-551-7254 to be assisted with the registration and to receive the discount.
  • If classes, camps, programs or special events are cancelled by us we will refund 100% of the program fee paid. Convenience fees are non-refundable.
    - If a written notice is received at least 3 business days before prior to the start of the class/camp a refund minus a $20 processing fee will be issued within 15 business days. Request a refund at www.cityofmillcreek.com/refund
  • No refunds once the class/camp has begun.
  • Injuries/illness are handled on a case by case basis and require documentation. Request a refund at www.cityofmillcreek.com/refund
  • No refunds issued for reasons of bad weather unless it results in the closure of the facility hosting the event/class during the time of session, or rental facility.
What happens if the weather is bad? How do I know if a program is cancelled?
For the most part the City of Mill Creek follows the Everett School District schedule in regards to inclement weather. However, many programs that start later in the day may take place even though school was cancelled. Make sure to call 425-551-7254 for updated information. If the school district is delayed, the 9:00 am Preschool Pals program will be canceled. If class is canceled due to inclement weather, there will NOT be a make-up day scheduled. No refunds will be given.
Am I able to reserve a picnic shelter at a neighborhood park?
At this time, we do not take reservations for picnic shelters at our neighborhood parks. The shelters are available on a first come first serve basis. If you are having a party or large gathering, please be sure to remove any excess trash that does not fit into the trash receptacles.
Is the rental deposit refundable?
Yes, the rental deposit is refundable and will be refunded to your credit card after the rental if there is no damage from the rental or extra clean-up from the custodial staff needed after the rental.
Will I receive a refund of the rental fee and deposit if I need to cancel my reservation?
Yes, as long as the rental is cancelled at least one week prior to the reservation. Please contact staff at 425-551-7254 to notify them of the cancellation.
Is the a minimum number of hours needed to reserve a room?
No, there is no minimum hour requirement needed in order to reserve a room. You will need to include set-up and take-down in your rental reservation. Example: you want an hour to decorate before your rental, this hour will need to be included in your overall rental time.

Do you send an email reminder for your upcoming class?
The staff does not send an email reminder for upcoming classes. We ask that parents keep the class information on your calendar to avoid missing any classes.
Do you offer scholarships and if so, how do you apply for a scholarship?
Please call 425-551-7254 and ask to speak with a Recreation Coordinator. They will be able to check with the instructor to inquire about offering a scholarship for the class/camp. If the instructor is able to offer a scholarship, Scholarships are available to pay up to 50 percent of program/class fees (not to exceed $50). Applicants need to complete the scholarship application at www.cityofmillcreek.com/scholarship and provide proof of income such as a copy of your child's Free/Reduced Lunch letter from the school, any government assistance, or last two recent pay stubs. Once approved, the Recreation Coordinator will assist with the registration in order to pro-rate the class fee. Applicants are required to pay the difference between the program fee and the scholarship fee at the time of registration.

What if my child is not old enough for a class?
Please call 425-551-7254 and ask to speak with a Recreation Coordinator. They will be able to check with the instructor to inquire about receiving approval to enroll your child in the class/camp.